As I head out to my internship(Salama) the other day, I am riding in the passenger seat of a big 15 passenger van. It's just me and Vincent-my driver, for about an hour. We are speeding down the left side of the road past boda bodas, random people, and every pot hole known to man. I know he is experienced with these roads, but I can't help but to hold my breath for most the trip. We drive faster than maybe I would have and crazier than I would normally feel comfortable with. I quickly began to realize that event though Vincent has been driving these same roads for years and knows every nook and cranny, that I would still somehow feel better if I was driving. If I was speeding and hit someone, at least it would be my fault. If I hit a pot hole and damaged a tire, at least it would be my fault. I wouldn't have to sit and point the finger of blame at him and allow him to account for my actions. I would feel more in control if I were behind that steering wheel.
The more I thought about this, the more I found my relationship with God feeling the same way. I want to be in control always because I feel better when I know what is going on and what may happen next. I want to be behind the steering wheel because it makes me feel safer. He knows the 'roads' of my life better, but for some reason I want to find them on my own. I want to take responsiblity for whatever I do wrong and not have to blame God. I think I find it easier to blame myself rather than others. It's so hard for me to give total control to God without feeling like I need to hold my breath in case I crash. I found this verse in Proverbs so helpful, just knowing that God knows my path better than anyone, including myself, so why not let him sit in the driver's seat?

No comments:
Post a Comment