Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Nameless

This is a poem I wrote while I was still in Africa. For my African Literature class, our teacher asked us to write a poem, short story, or some type of piece that had to do with Africa or an experience there. While this poem is not directly about me, I was inspired by what I saw around me for 4 months. I saw that life is not really fair and it never will be. I saw that racism is so prevalent no matter where in the world you go. I have not titled this poem and can't seem to find the right title for it, so here it is without a title. It actually took me about 3 weeks to finish, because I could only seem to write 2-4 lines at a time.


My skin defines me more than I knew,
Is a woman like me really somebody new?
Do I not have two eyes and a nose in between,
Are my lips not parted and easily seen?
Two arms, two hands, two legs, two feet,
Is there something I'm missing, am I not quite complete?
My hair is crooked and yours very straight,
Is that a reason to like me or more of me to hate?
My voice is swift and as simple as yours,
But somehow mine's buried and easy to ignore.
I look so unique and separate from you,
Am I unworthy and unlovable because my skin's a different hue?
My heart beats and pumps just as strong,
But something I'm doing will always be wrong.
Tell me I'm ugly, stupid, and plain,
This is my life not a joke or a game.
Can we be equals, together a pair,
Or can I continue to live in despair?
Can I be good enough to stand where you've been,
Can I be free from your bondage of sin?
Love me for my heart, love me for me,
Love me for my depth and not just what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment