Being white in Africa is like having my own personal T.V. show. No matter what I do or say, people will watch me and listen to me. It's like "Muzungu Variety Show" all day, ever day. I could be getting a drink and all of a sudden it's the most exciting thing to happen in anyone's life. Or, my favorite is when I am just sitting or laying somewhere and people find it fun to watch. I am amazed at how I can keep people occupied for hours at a time and all I have to do is stop what I'm doing and be still. People are always waiting to see what will happen next, like maybe I'll do a trick or something.
When I first got here, I was so overwhelmed with all the stares that I thought I wanted to scream! As time goes on, I have tried to be more comfortable with the looks and just understand that's how life goes. But, as I'm ending my time here and people are STILL staring, I am getting frustrated. It's so hard to walk around and see people stop what they are doing to look at you. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does. It's not the worst thing in the world, but definitely one of those things that is a challenge for me daily. But, on the bright side, it really does a number on you're self esteem to have so many people look at you on a daily basis =)
So, when I come home I expect you all to watch me just so I can feel at ease! haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment