Well, this is a late post of course, but times are busy. So, Thanksgiving in Africa is quite an experience. Since they Africans don't even acknowledge this holiday except for when we mention it, it was really weird. It was funny to hear Ugandans say "Happy Thanksgiving" to me because secretly I know they a. don't really know anything about it or b. don't really care but just say it anyways.
So, I still had to attend class on Thanksgiving......saddest day ever! But, we convinced 1 of my teachers to only let us have class for an hour instead of 2. I still had to have another class for 2 hours though. So, while all of you in college for you're little breaks and fun times at home, I rotted in a classroom. Our program did plan to have a Thanksgiving supper for us that evening so it didn't feel like a total fail of a holiday. We (the USP students) were in charge of making desserts for this little function. Me and 3 friends decided to make cheesecakes, which turned out to be quite a chore since cream cheese is basically invisible here. However, we got real creative and made 4 different cheesecakes using ingredients like: cream cheese, strawberry and toffee yogurt, ricotta cheese, some type of whipping cream(later turned out to be expired), butter, sugar, and biscuits crushed up because graham crackers don't exist here either. It was a very interesting process, but they all turned out delicious in the end.
At 3:30, a bunch of us students got together and played American football. This was super fun, even though I suck and have no idea how to play really. However, my team ended up winning by a lot and I made 2 touchdowns and some interceptions. What up! haha. It was a nice game, but it was probably one of the hottest days we've had so far. It is strange to be dying of heat on Thanksgiving, but a neat change. After football, we all got ready and headed to the Bartel's house, which are the leaders of our program. We had a HUGEEEE feast and I did in fact have 2nds and 3rdish. Then, we had a glorious buffet of desserts, which is course I had about 2 rounds of. I had the biggest food belly I've ever seen and I thought I could die a happy person right now. Then, we watched Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and called it a night. It was such a twist on Thanksgiving, but I enjoyed my day to the fullest! I am happy to have experienced such a different way of doing things.
No comments:
Post a Comment