Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Birthday Showers










So, it has been about forever since I've posted, but nothing too blog worthy seems to have come up recently. I decided to write about my African birthday experience, because it's definitely one to remember!

To start off my birthday, when I went to bed on Saturday night, my roomie had put a sign on my door for me that said "Happy Birthday Taui." Also, on my bed she left me a note and a pair of earrings as a gift! It was the cutest thing ever!! :)


One tradition started here by Honors College is the showering of the birthday people. Basically, they lock the birthday person/persons in their rooms until the group can fill buckets with water and soap enough to "shower" someone in. This year, it so happened that not only did I have a birthday on the 21st, but 2 other guys from Honors College. So, Ambrose who was target #1 got locked in his room while the water was collected. I came down to partake in the showering of Ambrose thinking they would just not shower me. However, while Ambrose was getting showered, a few guys ran behind me and got me too. I was not expecting it at all, but it was funny when all was said and done. There was a 3rd person named Charles who didn't mention it was his birthday so a huge group of us took him down to the fountain in the middle of campus and threw him in! After this, about 15 of us just had a massive water fight for about an hour. It was a great way to spend the morning of my birthday :)

When I came in from my birthday shower, I found in my room waiting for me 2 huge vases of flowers and a note with my name on it. It turns out my wonderful boyfriend (Reuben Gay) worked out to send me flowers all the way in Africa!! Talk about commitment! It seriously made my whole day and I am soo grateful to have such a great guy in my life.

After that fun little surprise, a group of friends and I went to a nearby hotel to go swimming. It was a great afternoon spent swimming, eating, and chatting with friends. Since I love sun and water this was a fantastic way to spend my afternoon.

One of my Ugandan friends named Brendah decided to take me out for dinner as a gift to me. I was super pumped because of course I love food! We went to a fancy little hotel place and had a gorgeous meal. The power went out in the middle of our meal though and we got to eat by candlelight. How romantic-haha. It was a great evening with her!

Overall, it was a pretty chill day, but I got to spend it with friends and participate in some crazy traditions. I was greeted that day with all sorts of gifts from friends and it just felt so nice to be cared for like that here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment